OneDrive Sync Account Detection
In the past Windows Business users could add a consumer account to Windows to use within various apps. Users could use this Consumer account to configure syncing their OneDrive consumer files via the OneDrive sync client. This summer the OneDrive Sync client will start prompting Business users if they’d like to sync their Consumer files using a detected Microsoft Consumer account known to Windows.
When this will happen:
Minimum required version: 23.086
Insiders: Microsoft will begin rolling out early July 2023 and expect to complete by late July 2023.
Standard Release: Microsoft will begin rolling out early August 2023 and expect to complete by late August 2023
How this will affect your organization:
- Consumer files will start syncing down to your user’s devices IF they confirm this behavior in the prompts that the Sync client will give them.
What you need to do to prepare:
- There is nothing you need to do to enable these prompts within your system
- If you would like to disable these prompts there are two policies you can deploy
- DisableNewAccountDetection (client version 23.063) will suppress these messages from being shown to your users, but still allow users to manually configure their Consumer accounts to sync their OneDrive Consumer files.
- DisablePersonalSync will disable users from syncing their Consumer OneDrive files completely.